I will answer that question more fully at the end of this post, but for now we can start with my mother’s often spoken advice: “if you are going to do something, do it well”. After all, what is the point of being mediocre?
Anyone can do mediocre work. Anyone can take all the shortcuts and produce an average result. Most of the people you work with and most of your competitors will be satisfied with mediocre results. “Good enough” they will say.
I suggest you should always think, it is not good enough. It is never truly good enough because it could always be done better.
If you want to secure a job or make a business a success you must strive to do the best. And once you think you’ve done your best you need to strive to improve on it.
This is what makes employees indispensable to their employers.
This is what makes products sell.
This is what makes a business a success.
This is how an idea is launched and a fortune is made.
That is what makes a better parent, spouse and friend.
Steve Jobs was never satisfied with doing things well enough. He strived to do things the best they could be done. That is why we have Apple computers and iPhones. In many ways they are the best of their kind. (Even if you prefer a PC or an Android you must acknowledge that Apple products are made very well.)
How to Become the Best
Benjamin Hardy wrote a great post on ThriveGlobal.com about how to become the best. I highly recommend the post, but in summary here is what you need to do to become the best at what you do:
- Start as an amateur to learn. All of the best had to start somewhere. Michelangelo started as an apprentice.
- Get coaching and education. Learn all you can about what you wish to master.
- Do not do what everyone else does. Break the mold and do something different and something outstanding.
- Learn patience. Be consistent and persevere until you have a break through.
- Organize your life and your efforts to optimize your performance.
- Take time to rest and refresh.
- Learn what it takes to get you into the flow and get there.
- Embrace fear and suffering. Take risks.
- Do it because you love to do it.
Back to the original question. Why should you strive to be the best? Here is my list of the reasons why:
- If it is worth doing it is worth doing well.
- It will make you more in demand which increases job security and business success.
- It will enable you to be a more effective leader because people listen to those who perform at their peak.
- It will make you feel good to strive for the best, it will make you proud.
- Striving to be the best may or may not make you the best, but it will make you perform much better than if you settle for less.
Perhaps this is a good time for you to think about what you do and how well you do it? Could it be improved? (Trick question: everything can be improved.)
Maybe the better question is why not? Why not strive to do the best and become the best?
Learn how you can achieve more and realize your goals in my book, The Success Essentials.Wishing you well,
Daniel R. Murphy
Educating people for building wealth, adapting to a changing future and personal development.