As times become financially more challenging for people they are prompted to find ways to save money. As Benjamin Franklin wisely observed, “a penny saved is a penny earned”. The more you save, the less you have to earn, or more important, the more you have left over to save and invest.
Here are ten easy ways to save money right now:
1. Quit drinking soda.
2. Start an automatic savings plan at your bank.
3. Make your own greeting cards or send letters instead.
4. Don’t ever pay interest on credit cards; pay off the balance each month.
5. Do not buy anything from vending machines. It is always more expensive, the quality if often poor and it is usually not good for your health.
6. Always send away for rebate offers when you buy things. Every missed rebate is money thrown away.
7. Unless you really need to or want to own a book, read books from the library. Same is true for magazines and newspapers – it is free!
8. If your bank charges checking account fees change banks – there is no need to pay them.
9. Drive your car as long as it is safe to do so. The longer you drive a car that is paid for the more money you save. This can add up to thousands of dollars in a few years.
10. Eat out a lot less. Bring a sack lunch. If you must eat out, split your meal with someone or put half in a doggy bag for later. Most restaurants serve far too much food.
For most people these are easy and will save hundreds or thousands of dollars each year. If you give it a bit of thought you could easily add ten more to this list. Ask friends and family how they save money. Find frugal websites that cater to those who want to save money.
Daniel R. Murphy
Daniel R. Murphy
Educating people for building wealth, adapting to a changing future and personal development.