I mostly suggest non-fiction books for you here but I also read fiction and I recommend it to you. I must admit I prefer non-fiction for many reasons. I personally like to read biographies, works on history and all the categories on business, finance, leadership, success, personal development and time management that I most often discuss here on the blog.
I also read fiction however and find it both important and useful. I will admit that fiction tends to be more entertaining. There is nothing like getting lost in a really good novel. It is a form of escape and that can be good now and then. Here are the reasons why fiction is useful to read:
1. Fiction literature distracts you from your more disciplined work and reading giving your mind a rest. Our minds do some interesting work in the subconscious when we are relaxing and distracted from more organized work. This provides a healthy break for our minds.
2. Fiction stirs our imagination. Albert Einstein said, “Imagination is everything, it is the preview of life’s coming attractions”. Exercising our imagination makes us more creative and success in almost any area is enhanced by more creativity.
3. Fiction broadens our horizons. In fiction we see the world through the lens of another person’s perceptions and beliefs. It is a subtle shift in how we see the world and it can enrich our viewpoints.
4. Fiction makes our brains think in different ways. Although we know it is fiction our minds recreate the fictional world into a real world in the mind. This enhances our perceptions of the world around us.
5. Fiction provides an insight into what could be. It opens doors to new ways of thinking about the world.
6. Good fiction has a message or even messages. It conveys underlying themes and often morals or lessons about what can happen in specific circumstances.
7. One of the best ways to improve your writing is to read good writing. Fiction can provide those writing lessons in a most enjoyable format.
8. Fiction is fun.
I do suggest you read good fiction, at least most of the time. I will admit I do read fiction from time to time that will never earn any awards. I like mysteries and will read them as a special treat.
Finally, it is good to read some really great literature now and then. It is the very best of what has been written in most cases. It stimulates you on a different level. It also connects you to culture, maybe your own culture, maybe the culture of others.
And once in a while read something you do not normally read. It is so very good for our minds to walk down a path we never see. It is good for us to be exposed to thinking that is totally foreign to our usual thinking and interests.
The best advice I know about reading fiction though is to read what you enjoy. Read those books you just cannot put down. You will enjoy them more. You will get more out of them and perhaps most importantly you will read them. They will not just take up space on your bookshelf.
What do you think? Do you read fiction? Do you have recommendations for good fiction? Let us know… post a reply.Wishing you well,
Daniel R. Murphy
Educating people for building wealth, adapting to a changing future and personal development.